Thursday, March 10, 2011

This American Life and Superpowers.

This American Life


Superpowers are AWESOME. This is something everyone has known since they were kids. Everyone wants to be special, and what better way to be special than to be able to do something no other person on earth can? Well, in this blog I'm going to take a look at my favorite superpower and why I want it.
I feel like I can better explain this via text rather than via an audio blog, since I'm much more articulate when I don't have to rerecord my blog every time I eventually make a verbal misstep with my fast speech rate.
Oh, and I get to be as verbose as I damn well please with text.

This is Patrick Stewart.
This is also Professor Charles Xavier, AKA Professor X. His superpower is telekinesis, the ability to manipulate the world around him via the power of his mind. He also has a host of superintellectual powers, but telekinesis is the one I'm going to focus on.
Telekinesis has always been one of my favorite powers- I've always been the smart-yet-weak kid, and telekinetic characters showed that strength of mind can be just as good as or better than strength of body. The telekinetic character is one who appeals to the pen, not the sword.
Telekinesis is not just something that appeals to my primarily mental worldview. Telekinesis is also a power that has a million uses and has a million different archetypes associated with it. You've got Professor X, the archetypal wise, calm telekinetic, and then you've got the sadistic or rash pyrokinetic character. There's a slew of different types of characters that go with mental powers they possess. Telekinesis is a power that can have almost any character molded around it. A character with regular telekinesis, the ability to use their mind to create force and manipulate things, leads to Professor X, the mentor. The character that controls fire leads to the Human Torch, a more irrational and impulsive character.
Aside from the diversity of the connotations of mental powers, there's the practical side of having telekinesis. There are a thousand and one things I could do with telekinesis. Being able to move things around me is incredibly practical and has many mundane uses. This is why I choose telekinesis- I am NOT a superhero. I would want a power I can use constantly in my average life. As awesome as the ability to shoot lightning from my appendix or something would be, what the hell would I use it for? Sure, once I eventually find my icy-spleened nemesis I would be incredibly thankful for my powers, but how often is that going to happen?

So, overall, I would want a power that, while incredible and extraordinary, still has a use in the ordinary and the normal. Being a superhuman does not mean I'm no longer human- I'm just a bit more than that. Think of it as being the B+ to humanity's B.





So, if I did an audio review and wanted to be Aquaman, would I get bonus points for having a straight face the whole time?

No comments:

Post a Comment